…Before & After: Botanical Prints

These started as pretty silver/metal frames from Michaels. I bought a large stack of them with a purpose: to chalk paint, to frame vintage botanical prints and to create a Hide & Seek screen. Plans changed along the way as they do.

IMG_6652

Ollie is a bit skeptical.

IMG_6655

This was Greta’s first painting job. We started off small and only made it through 2 frames before she wanted to go pick flowers. Tempting for me too, Sweet Pea.

IMG_6929

 

IMG_6917

I put 2 coats of French Linen on them and then used some dark wax. I did not sand these because I didn’t really care about the natural “silver” from the frame coming through. I was okay with them looking old and gray.

IMG_8676

 

IMG_8675

I purchased some gorgeous vintage National Audubon Society postcards with a series of botanicals on them. They were slightly aged and yellowing. Perfect.

IMG_8683

 

IMG_8740

 

IMG_8724

 

IMG_8836

 

IMG_8835

 

IMG_8685

The original plan was to make one of Blue Egg’s Hide & Seek Screens, like this:

IMG_6616

 

IMG_6005

 

 

IMG_6006

Then I lined them up…..do you see what I see?

IMG_8702

 

IMG_8720

 

IMG_8700

What I see is how cool they look as individual & groupings of prints.

IMG_8707

 

IMG_8705

 

IMG_8834

 

IMG_8732

…and that’s how I’ve sold & am selling them.

Vintage Botanical Prints in hand-painted French Linen frames…$54 each.

…This Old House

So fun to seeing Blue Egg Brown Nest on This Old House! This is our Hide & Seek screen introduced by Frammie (my MIL) & built by my DH, stylized by yours truly.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/yourtoh/diy-projects/gallery?entry_id=50e495c7fc944a4572004c8c&image_id=1

The back story is is that I really wanted window seats so the flatscreen had to find a home above the fireplace. I know this is a big issue of debate. But, the screen has helped and it was a great project. I heart having a handy husband!

I hunted down some vintage bird & botanical prints & had custom mats made for them.

The frames are cheap-o ones from Michaels that I stained and added gold leaf to – another tip from Fram!

DH had to get custom hinges made to make the screen open easily. It’s a bit more tricky than it looks.

 

Very happy with the finished product minus the fact that I get in trouble when I accessorize the mantel too much and the TV won’t turn on. I can’t help it!

I’m making a few screens now in French Linen. Already have the prints and this little gal has them painted.

FYI – Come see Blue Egg Brown Nest at the Home & Remodeling Show Jan 20th at 1:00 – 2:00.

 

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookCheck Our Feed